Thursday, March 29, 2007

Culture Clash Anyone?

I experience culture clashes quite often.Whether its in the middle east or anywhere else.I think many people experience the feeling of confusion and awkwardness when they are caught in between two different cultures.That are practically the complete opposite of each other.I have a particular interest in one culture more than the other.

But sometimes I have trouble understanding each and every single custom.Its just going to take a little time and a lot of patience.
But I think I pretty much have most of the basics down.So its not too bad.And I also understand the language very well.So I do have that advantage to be thank full for.



Don’t stay out too late.

( I don't go out very much so I don't have to worry about that )

Go in your room. The plumber is here to fix the water.

( umm ok.... )

Don’t walk around the house in white socks

( I wear slippers or sha7ata )

Put your underwear on the inside line and the clothes on the outside.That way men on the street can’t see your underclothes.

( I don't get the point. Everybody wears underclothes )

You want to shower today? Again? You just showered yesterday!

( I'm sorry but I have to shower daily! )

Turn the hot water heater off after you shower.

( Real plumbing that you don't know about )

Don’t go in the elevator if there is a man in it. Take the stairs.

( I have always been afraid that the power would go out and I would get stuck in the elevator.)

Put olive oil on your yogurt. It makes it better.

( Olive oil tastes good on practically everything )

Drink tea with your breakfast. It makes the food taste less dry

( I'll drink tea with anything )

Don't stand on the balcony.They will think you are a bad girl.

( no comment )

Don't wear a short sleeved shirt.Wear a long one

( I bring my jeans jacket everywhere I go just in case )

Fold the napkin before you blow your nose

( lol whats the difference )

Don't go to bed with you hair tied.

( I haven't been tying my hair for a while )

Don't cut your nails at night.

( huh? )

Don't look outside the car window.

( Its not my fault your windows are not tinted )

Don't sit with your male cousins so much.

( They are my cousins! )

No,thats not how you fold the grape leaves.

( Will you please show me how then )


Perhaps some of this advice is useful



12 comments:

Mounir said...

yammy I could almost smell our Midleastern food which inshalla I will be able to be there and taste this july :)

Scent of the Levant said...

Im going in June if God is willing.

Could you relate to some of the culture clashes or is it just girls that experience these kinds of situations?

Mounir said...

Oh of course I could, sometimes I find it funny and sometimes very annoying!...So where were you raised?

Scent of the Levant said...

كاليفورنيا

Mounir said...

Nice..You r so lucky with all that good weather...you know there are many Canadians that vacation there..especially when it is freezing cold here!

Scent of the Levant said...

Yes, my cousin lives in Canada.And she vacations in Michigan quite often.But I think the weather is a little more warmer here ;)

Dareen said...

hahahah Loved this post!

Particularly:
"Don't stand on the balcony.They will think you are a bad girl".
....but it used to be fun ;)

and the underwear comment!! :S hahaha

Culture Clash...I experience it daily here in Canada..been here 18 years...and now that I'll be moving..I'm still going to experience it as well...

Growing up here...we kinda ended up being torn between two cultures...can't fully feel like we belong to the north american culture and at the same time, can't fully belong to the middle eastern culture either....

So, what I did is, I made my own culture :) and I am happier this way! Don't care to belong no more!! illi 3ajbu, ahla ou sahla, willi mish 3ajbu, ytu2 rassu bil7ait ;)

Mounir said...

Dareen, I love your last few wise words:

illi 3ajbu, ahla ou sahla, willi mish 3ajbu, ytu2 rassu bil7ait ;)

no wonder most people I know are running with bandages around their heads!

Scent of the Levant said...

Sis,
How to make your own culture.Thats a very good topic to post about.Im looking forward to it.Only if you want to ;)


wil amtal tab3oulik helween.
Here are a few funny ones.

la wayn sharid ya marid?

mitil il drat 3al blat

bazi2 ou lazi2

keza meza

Scent of the Levant said...

sho hal inhar? anjad kan ikteer helou. Ana ou Mone it3ajabna il youm! il jibne 3am ta3jibne :D

I laughed so much today.And it was nice.And I had a good time with 7aluma.And you too Mone!

shookran 7aluma,Dareen,Mone,ou Transient.

Im very thank full to have great friends like you.

Delightful Dareen- il big sister il 7anouni

Trendy Transient- the immaculate writer and the advice giver

Magnificient Mone- funny guy and relgious adviser

7aluma- best friend

transient said...

nice post, i was expecting more given the title. But i can relate.
there are three cultures that often clash with misplaced Arabs; their native culture, their host culture and their native culture trying to survive in the host culture. Makes for constant clash, part good, part proud, part tragic. but all in all an evolution into a fourth unique culture that may be someone's native culture in the future.

Dareen said...

mone, I always loved those words :) and now adays, I provide the bandage ;) :D

sweetscent,
You are soooo cute and your lines are funny kaman :D ta3rfi, your topic idea of "how to make your own culture" is pretty cool...bes badda rawa2 :) I'll for sure think about it and put things down and one day post about it!!